Weekly News Bulletin: 24 September 2018

Early School Closure – Friday 28th September 2018
Please may I remind you that we will be closing school early on the afternoon of Friday 28th September 2018. Lessons will finish at 1.25pm and school transport will leave the school by 1.40pm. Food will be available for students at morning break.

This is to enable members of staff to prepare for our Open Morning on Saturday 29th September.
Mr S Knight – Headteacher

Open Morning Student Guides and Helpers
If your son/daughter would like to help out on our Open Morning on Saturday 29th September 2018 as a guide or helper, please remind him/her return their reply slips to Mrs B Louth in the Main Office as soon as possible.
Thank you.
Mrs B Louth – Admissions Secretary

Uniform
Thank you to those of you who have provided me with feedback regarding issues with ordering school uniform this term. We will be taking this matter up with the suppliers to hopefully resolve the situation.

May I take this opportunity to remind you of our uniform expectations:

• Formal black shoes – No trainers, canvas plimsolls, mules or boots. Vans, Converse and other types of casual footwear, regardless of colour or material are not considered formal and are not permitted.
• The school jumper may be worn in addition to the school blazer. It should not be worn instead of the blazer.
• Piercings – a single plain stud earring is permissible in each ear. Hoops, bars and facial piercings, such as those in the nose, lips or eyebrows are not permitted for health and safety reasons. If a student is seen with an unauthorised facial piercing, they will be sent home or isolated until it is removed or a clear plastic non – protruding retainer is used. We would ask parents and students to think carefully about when piercings are done, preferably during summer holidays, so that they can be removed safely for PE lessons.
• Shirts should be tucked in and a belt should be used to avoid the trousers being worn too low at the waist.
• Boys’ trousers must be the grey regulation school trousers with the Fleur-de-Lys logo. They must not be altered in any way.
• Trutex now stock a narrow leg trouser with a more modern fit.
• Jewellery should be limited to one ring, a single bracelet and plain stud earrings.
• Extreme hairstyles are not acceptable and should be conservative; hair should be of natural colouration
Mr S Knight – Headteacher

Sixth Form Football Academy – Tuesday 25 September 2018, 6.00pm – 7.15pm
On Tuesday 25th September 2018 The Sixth Form football academy launch evening takes place in the Learning Zone and then on the astro turf for all potential Year 11 students who are interested in pursuing a career in sport and/or following a recognised practical football programme whilst undertaking A level or BTEC qualifications in the Sixth Form from September 2019.

All Year 11 parents will receive an email and should register their intended attendance by return email as appropriate.
Mrs D Wright – Head of Sixth Form

Roald Dahl’s Birthday Celebrations
Roald Dahl’s birthday was celebrated in the Learning Zone by Year 7’s last Thursday, 7JEP won the Form bunting competition and the Learning Zone is looking very colourful with seven strings of bunting hanging from the ceiling. A Year 7 also won the ‘Count the hidden Wonka Bars’ competition after being drawn from a hat after several correct entries were given. They will receive their prize in Assembly on Friday. Many thanks to all the students and staff who took part.

The Scholastic Book Fair in the Learning Zone Thursday 27th September to Tuesday 2nd October
Students will be able to view a selection of books during lunch times on Thursday 27th and Friday 28th October. If there is a book they would like to buy they will bring home a slip with the Title, Author & Amount due for you to approve and pay for via ParentPay. Once payment has been received they can collect their purchase from the Learning Zone. Any books selected but not paid for by 4pm on Tuesday 2nd October will be returned to Scholastic.

This is a fantastic opportunity for the Learning Zone to add to its stock through commission earned.
Thank you for your support.
Mrs S Bird – Learning Zone Manager

Scientific Calculators
Scientific Calculators (£8) are back in stock from the School Shop in the Learning Zone.
Mrs S Bird – Learning Zone Manager

Year 10 Silver Duke of Edinburgh’s Award Training
The above training starts on Tuesday 25th September in A05.
Mrs V Middleton-Sams – Duke of Edinburgh’s Award Co-ordinator

Appointments
If you need to take your son/daughter out of school for an unavoidable appointment please provide them with a signed note to that effect. This note can then be used to show the class teachers they have at the time and also allows the student to sign out at student reception.

Students will not be allowed to sign out without any kind of note as it means we do not have your permission for them to leave school, you will be required to come in to student reception in these instances.

Calling in and sending a message to their class is not ideal as it is disruptive to the learning of the entire class and there are occasions when students may be swimming or doing a test when the class cannot be interrupted.

Xpressions Replies/Email messages
Replies sent via the Xpressions APP do not go to a manned inbox and are unlikely to be acknowledged. Please use the reply function in the email or send a message to enquiries@hrs.education. All school email addresses end in @hrs.education any others you may be using are obsolete.
Student Reception

Year 11 Chemistry at Work Trip – Wednesday October 17th
Please return forms for this trip to Mr A Heinrich in the Science Department as soon as possible. Places are limited and are filling up fast.
Mr A Heinrich – Science

News from Science
At the end of last term, we said goodbye to a few staff members. However, as one door closes another opens and we are delighted to be welcoming new members of staff to the Science department. Below they have shared their experiences of their first two weeks’ at HRS:

Mr S Lill, Science teacher
“Jetlagged, I visited HRS in July. I met Year 10 and put them to work with the challenge of identifying five mystery chemicals. Little did that class know, half an hour later, I accepted a job at HRS after experiencing that warm welcome to their school.

Since 2015, I have been working in Baoding city, China. In July, I bid fond farewells to the Chinese students, their parents and my colleagues as I returned to the UK. It was an emotional farewell. I had begun teaching many of these students in Year 9 and taught them for their entire GCSEs and AS Levels. I’m very proud of their accomplishments over the last three years.

At HRS, I met my form, 7SL. I have already witnessed the remarkable seed of teamwork and comradeship which has begun to flourish between my Year 7s. We have created bunting to celebrate Roald Dahl’s birthday and I’ve begun teaching them Mandarin (the little that I know).

During the last fortnight, I have seen the dedication of countless students. Students with excellent learning behaviours. One class stands out amongst the rest. All students in my Year 9 chemistry class (9A2A) are focused, with outstanding learning behaviours. They have made a positive first impression.

I look forward to continuing my teaching here at HRS.”

Mr T Millard, Science teacher
“I have been a Science teacher for over 10 years now but the last four of which I have been teaching in a further education college. I decided to make my return to the secondary sector this year and feel that I have made a great decision in joining the teaching team at HRS. Staff at the school have been incredibly welcoming and supportive and I have very much enjoyed my first two weeks here.

One of the main differences compared to working in a college seems to be the faster pace of the working day, it has been a pleasure to teach a wide variety of topics to a wider range of year groups, and the students are friendly, polite and often inspiring. I have particularly felt privileged to have had the opportunity to be a Year 7 tutor, which if anything has served as a good reminder that I am not alone in being new to the school.

It is fantastic to be part of a real team within the Science department, as well as a member of Miss Foulger’s Year 7 team of tutors, whilst also feeling like a member of the team across the wider school. There is a real sense that the students are front and centre of everything we do and it is lovely to be a part of that.

I would like to offer a personal thank you to the parents I have had the opportunity to speak to in my short time here so far for welcoming me so nicely into your community. I look forward to meeting many more of you during the course of this academic year and beyond.”

Mr B Fazal – Training to teaching at HRS
“September 2017: When I got the email from the training provider that I will be at HRS for the year, I was anxious, nervously searching online and reading everything I could about the school. Fast forward 12 months and here I am starting my teaching career here in the Science department. The harmony of the school and the supportive nature really makes it the right place for any teacher.

Two weeks into the year, I have had some brilliant lessons with all my classes but the stand out lessons have to be my Year 10 Biologists (10B2B). They have started the year with a really positive mind set and willingness to learn. I have also had the honour of being a Year 7 form tutor which has been just as rewarding. As a group we have helped each other settle into the school. I hope to see them excel throughout their time at HRS.

With such a positive start, I am excited to see what the rest of the year has to offer.”

Twitter
Don’t forget you can follow us on Twitter:

• HRS general account: @HelenaRomanes
• English: English_HRS
• Science: @hrs_science
• PE fixtures, results and news: @HrsPe
• Media and Drama: #hrscreativearts @ArtsHrs