2015 GCSE and A-Level Results

Students at The Helena Romanes School are celebrating a rise in the school’s GCSE results.

The school, in Parsonage Downs, Great Dunmow, saw 61% of students achieve five or more A* to C grades including English and maths – up from 57% last year.

Star students this year include –

• Nina Haket with 12 GCSEs at A* – biology, business studies, catering, chemistry, Dutch, English language, English literature, French, history, maths, physics and religious studies, plus A grades in ICT and dance.
  • Austin Hodge with ten A* grades in biology, business studies, chemistry, English language, English literature, French, history, maths, physics and religious studies, plus an A grade in PE

English results also showed a huge improvement, with 75% of students achieving an A* to C grade.

In maths, one in five students achieved an A* or A grade.

Headteacher Simon Knight said: “The Government’s drive to push more students through the academic route via the English Baccalaureate saw some significant changes for Year 11 students. However, they responded well to this challenge with 35% of students attaining this measure. Our Year 10 students entered for English literature demonstrated their potential by achieving 91% A* to C.”

Paying tribute to the hard work of students, dedication of staff, support of parents and commitment of governors, Mr Knight added: “These results reflect the continuing improvements we are making to ensure our students are achieve their full potential.”

NRose HGeorge ESmith  NHaketAustin HodgeE Smith T Leaning 

A Level Results
99.5% of our students passed their A-level exams, with grades of A* to E.  A total of 67% of students achieved A* to C grades.

Star students include –

• Tim Coupe, 19, from Barnston, with A* in law and maths, B in economics and C in further maths and history and D in PE.  He will study maths at Surrey University. Proud mum Claire Berry, who has watched four of her children collect results over the last nine years, said: “I am delighted; absolutely thrilled. Tim slept fine last night; it was me who didn’t get any sleep!”
  • Molly French with A in photography, distinction* and distinction in BTEC fashion and clothing and D in AS-level maths.
  • Jack Reeder, 19, from Great Dunmow, with A in maths and B in biology and psychology. He will study biology at Nottingham University. He said: “I am pretty over-the-moon! To get an A in maths has been insanely hard, but the hard work has paid off. I am really happy.”
  • Head boy Charlie Sewell, 18, of Great Bardfield, with A in law and extended project and B in maths and psychology. He will study law at Cardiff University.  He said: “All that waiting is finally over.   I was up at 8am checking my university placement. It’s been constantly on my mind the last few weeks.” Tearful mum Annette, who accompanied Charlie with dad Barry, said: “I am all over the place! I’m incredibly proud. He has worked so hard; he deserves this success.  I think he’s going to go far in life. Whatever he does, he does well at.”
  • Lois Skinner, 18, from Great Dunmow, with A in textiles, B in business studies and law and C in psychology and extended project. She started an apprenticeship two weeks ago sewing ballroom dresses. She said: “I’m really glad I got the results I wanted.  I chose an apprenticeship because I wanted a practical route into the career I wanted. I spend one day a week at Newham College for my apprenticeship.  These results are the cherry on the top for me.”
  • Molly Clark, 18, with B grades in extended project, psychology, media and art.  She will study psychology at UEA in Norwich.  Molly, who collected her results with mum Christine, said: “I didn’t check online for my university place this morning, I wanted to wait to see my results first.  I went out last night to take my mind off of today; I’ve not stopped thinking about it for the last two months!”

Donna Wright, Head of Sixth Form, said: “I am very proud of the achievements of our A-level students.  The grades and success reflects very positively on the sustained hard work of the students, the support provided by their parents and the commitment of staff at the school.”

HRS A-level 2015